Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is: Top Ten Songs That Tell a Story.
This week’s Top Ten Tuesday is focused on stories other than the ones you find in a book. The intent of the good folks over at The Broke and the Bookish was for this post to feature TV shows and/or movies, but I decided to be a rebel and go with songs that tell stories instead. Although I love all types of music – reggaeton, classic rock, big band, you name it – the genre that always seems to be at the top of its storytelling game is country music. That being said, below are my top ten country songs that tell a story.
1. Streets of Heaven by Sherrie Austin – The desperate mother of a dying child tries to reason with God to spare her daughter’s life.
2. Ol’ Red by Blake Shelton – A wily convict concocts a plot to use Ol’ Red, his jailors’ runaway-tracking bloodhound, to stage a prison break.
3. Papa Loved Mama by Garth Brooks – A child relates the humorous account of his father’s reaction to his mother’s infidelity.
4. The Devil Went Down to Georgia by The Charlie Daniels Band – The devil and a good ol’ Southern boy named Johnny engage in a musical showdown where Johnny’s soul is at stake.
5. Red Ragtop by Tim McGraw – A young couple’s response to an unplanned pregnancy results in the dissolution of their relationship.
6. The Night the Lights Went Out in George by Reba McEntire – A man who stumbles upon his wife’s murdered lover is falsely convicted of committing the crime.
7. What Was I Thinkin’ by Dierks Bentley – A man takes a girl out on an unexpectedly crazy date full of car chases, bar fights, and a shotgun-wielding father.
8. Preacher’s Daughter by Maggie Rose – The disappearance of a preacher’s daughter and her boyfriend raises suspicion of foul play.
9. Fancy by Reba McEntire – A woman recounts how her mother pushed her into prostitution to save her from poverty in the slums of New Orleans.
10. The Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks – A woman anxiously awaits her husband’s return on a stormy night, only to be unpleasantly surprised when he arrives home.
Know any other songs that tell great stories? Let me know in the comments section below!